Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Ides of March Baby

Just over five years ago (I'm a bit late with this post), I was a week past my due date with my last baby.  This was normal for me--all my babies came two weeks past their due date, and mom said we all came three weeks past our due dates.  I had the day off because I had a doctor appointment.  I did have a parent conference that morning and she joked that I could have that baby that day.  I assured her I still had another week or so.  Part of my appointment was for an ultrasound to make sure there was plenty of fluid and everything was still looking good.  The tech lady wouldn't say much, but told me that my doctor would talk to me more about it at my appointment.

I walked over to the doctors' office.  My appointment that day was with one of the midwives (they were no longer delivering babies, but did office visits).  This gal and I had hit it off well and I was looking forward to visiting with her and planning the delivery for later in the week.  She read my ultrasound results and told me the baby was measuring big, I think she told me ten pounds.  She asked if this pregnancy felt any different than my others (it hadn't).  Long story short, I decided to go ahead and start induction that day because I was fearful of having a 10-13 pound baby in a week.  I met the new doctor in the group--the only doctor I had not met--who would be delivering that afternoon/evening.  I filled him in on my plan.  He was very agreeable and suggested we have a baby today.  I called my husband to make sure he was able to get up to the hospital after work, my mom to make sure she could pick up the other two boys, my sister to see if she could come be with me if Ron couldn't get there in time, and my work to fill them in on what was going on.  And I walked over to the hospital.

The nurse that began my induction was fantastic.  We talked about our kids.  She was cool with my birth plan, which involved an epidural when I reached 4 cm.  (I was stressed out about that big baby and in both of my past births I went from 4 to 9 cm in about 20 min.)  I talked to my work folks again during the weekly staff meeting.  Ron arrived.  The shift changed around 3 and Barb the nurse from hell arrived on duty.  We filled her in on the birth plan.  She took vitals and checked me.  Before long I was at four and I asked for the anesthesiologist to be called to begin my epi.  She told me it wasn't time yet.  I assured her that it was and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss my window.  She told me she didn't want me to think that she didn't believe me, but it really wasn't time.  I asked Ron to talk with her and he assured her that my history showed that I would dilate very quickly now that I was at 4.  I told her that I was in back labor.  I knew that the baby was not in proper position and that I was not looking forward to pushing out a giant baby who was not in the proper position.  She did finally call the anesthesiologist and told me to go to the bathroom.

When I returned from the bathroom, she checked me again.  Lo and behold I was at nine cm and I no longer qualified for an epidural.  In fact she ordered delivery and baby equipment be brought to the room asap.  I was quite angry with her for not listening to me.  She lost all respect from me and Ron.  I quit listening to her and became a bit of a rebel.  She asked if I was pushing.  I told her I was.  She insisted I quit pushing as the doctor was not in the room.  I smiled and kept pushing.  About that time the doctor arrived.  As he walked in the door I updated him on the status--no epidural even though I had asked several times, back labor, very unhappy with the nurse.  He looked at her.  She said--'she's pushing and I told her to stop'.  He looked at me, I nodded.  He was gloved up by then and smiled.  He said, 'Aren't we here to have a baby?  Go ahead and push.'  

Brody came out facing my left leg sometime before 6.  He was just over 8 pounds, less than Colby.  The nurse had the audacity to suggest that it was a good thing I didn't have the epidural.  I quit talking to her.  I still believe he would have been perfectly happy in there for another week and would have come out on his own when he was ready.  I tell other pregnant women not to trust those ultrasounds.  

Fast forward five years.  Brody was confused that his birthday was Thursday, but his party was Saturday.  He chose grilled hot dogs and brats for his birthday supper (well first he just wanted cake, but Ron helped him to decide that grilled meat was a good thing).  Saturday we had a family Birthday Bowling Bash at the local bowling alley.  I made two cakes.  Since I am on spring break this week I was able to go to preschool with him on Monday and bring treats.  

Brody is our youngest.  He tries hard to do whatever his brothers are doing.  He has always been a bit shy, but has gotten better about that over the last year or so.  He loves to pretend and can play by himself or with others quite well.  He tries to be a good friend.  He loves to dance and asks me to dance with him several times a week.  He likes to make chocolate chip cookies and lick the beaters.  He is getting to be a big boy and I will miss these little boy moments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment